Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Opinion~ How Much Do I Edit?

Sometimes working in my profession is a wonderful thing-- I get to work with wonderful clients and see them at some of the most important moments in their lives.  The new babies, graduating seniors, couples on the verge of marriage are all wonderful reasons to love photography.  

However, there is a side of photography that is much less a positive, when it is image manipulation that can give young girls negative body images.  Actress, and Minneapolis native Rachel Leigh Cook recently spoke out about image manipulation in Hollywood and in the media, and I feel that I need to address this in connection to what I do. 

How much do I edit?


I pretty much do at least some editing on every photo that I give you, and pretty much every photo that I use for myself.  Primarily I do simple color correction, vignetting, cropping etc.  But the side that I have to use a careful balance with is when it comes to further editing that may change any features of your face or body. In photography magazines and forums I see countless ads for software to get rid of freckles and wrinkles, make eyes larger, lips bigger, eyes brighter, bodies thinner.  

I'll admit, I brighten eyes, brighten teeth, soften a few wrinkles, and I remove a ton of blemishes-- mostly baby blemishes.  Milia are tiny white spots that appear on at least half of baby's faces, and can draw focus in a newborn photo away from seeing just how precious and beautiful your new little one is, and onto the tiny, white bumps that appear right on schedule for your  newborn session.  


In this photo of my own precious son at about a month old, he looks adorable- even with the milia on his face.  However, in the edited version I have simply: cloned away the bumps, smoothed his skin a bit, and brightened his eyes just a touch.  However, he still looks like him, which is my point.  I would never and will never change the things that make you, you.   Why would I mess with God's good work?


0 comments:

All images and text are the property of Carrie Weston Photography and not to be copied or used with. Powered by Blogger.